The Facebook conversions APIs are currently in beta. If you are reading this, thank you for taking the time to test it out for us. 😊
As with all beta tests, not everything will be perfect. If you run into any issues, please let your Success team member know!
Offline conversions allow you to attribute the performance of your online ads to real-world transactions. Facebook offers retailers the ability to link online ads with offline outcomes such as in store purchases, phone orders, bookings, and more.
Lexer can help you clean, format, and continuously send your offline transaction data to Facebook so this attribution can occur, increasing the accuracy of campaign performance reporting in your account.
Let's explore how Offline conversion works, what is required to get this configured, and how it is configured in Lexer. Please see Facebook’s documentation here.
Let’s just pause here to note the difference between the offline (this article) and online versions of the API. The online version helps link digital sales to Facebook advertising (you can read about it here). The two versions are meant to be complementary.
Below is an overview of the process, and where Lexer fits in.
- A customer views an ad on Facebook.
- Then the customer purchases the viewed product/service in store.
- Lexer receives the offline transaction, cleans and reformats the data, and stores this against the customer's profile.
- Lexer's “offline conversion” integration sends this data to Facebook.
- Facebook intelligently matches the sales data to a customer's digital persona.
To put it simply, we will upload all sales data to the Facebook offline conversions API, allowing you to better understand the impact your digital ads are having on real-world sales.
As you can see above, Google also supports offline conversions. To see how you can connect Lexer with Google Ads to measure offline conversions there as well, check out the relevant article here.
To setup Facebook Offline within your Lexer Hub, you'll need:
- Your Facebook Business account login.
- An Offline Event Set ID (this can be generated in your Facebook page's Business Manager hub).
Start by connecting your Facebook Business account to the Lexer Hub:
- In the Manage > Integrations tab on the Lexer Hub, select Facebook Business.
- Click Integrate Facebook Ads.
- A popup will appear for you to login to Facebook. Enter your business account details.
- If login is successful your account should appear on the right.
The final step
Once you've added the details of your Facebook Ads account to the Facebook Ads tile in the Hub, please contact your Success Manager, or Lexer Support ([email protected]) to complete your Facebook Ads setup and configuration.
Next, you can set up offline conversions by linking it with your offline event set by providing the Offline Event Set ID from Facebook.
To find out more about offline events and where to find your Offline Event Set ID, please see Facebook’s help article here.
- Continuing with your integration set up, click New Offline Event Set.
- Another sidebar will appear on the right. Specify:
- The activation name
- The Dataset. This should be the dataset that holds your transaction data. If you have multiple datasets, you should set this to your first-party data.
- Your Offline Event Set ID (see article linked above from Facebook).
- You may choose to Send Custom Data Fields to Facebook. If you wish to explore this, please contact your Lexer Success team member to set this up. Once that process is complete, check this box. Otherwise, please leave this unchecked.
- Check the box to Enable Limited Data Use (LDU) for CCPA Compliance (see below for more information). Facebook no longer accepts data that does not comply with CCPA, so this checkbox is mandatory.
- Check the Run Activation Daily check box (we recommend doing this until you no longer need the event set).
- Save the configuration. The activation will start to run. Once complete, the data will be pushed to Facebook.
Facebook currently only accepts online event data (including transactions) from the last 62 days. If any of your data is older than 62 days, you will receive an error.
To avoid this, it would be best to:
- Ensure the Run Activation Daily box is checked (as in Step 5).
- Check that your transaction data comes to the Hub in a timely manner (most Hubs update overnight).
If you run into any issues, you can contact our Support team ([email protected]).
The CCPA came into effect in July 2020, Lexer supports this in line with Facebook's guidelines. To understand how this could impact you, you can read Facebook's docs here.
Please be aware that by not selecting Facebook’s LDU option, you are saying that none of your customers are California residents, and not subject to the Californian Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Failure to correctly identify California residents can result in prosecution under California law.
And that’s it! You’re ready to go with your Facebook offline conversions.
Updated about 1 month ago